Deakin eSolutions drives digital innovation at the University. They collaborate across the University to deliver intelligent, future-focused solutions that anticipate and respond to the needs of staff and students.
When the new Executive Director, Programs & Change, was appointed he saw the opportunity to uplift the capability and maturity of the PMO.
I was looking to embed a new culture – excellence, connection and fun – to reinvigorate and refocus the team, and Manuela’s values aligned perfectly, supported by the great team at Escient. Together, we achieved significant improvement over a short period of time and I am very grateful for the valued advice and collaborative hard work.
Executive Director, Programs and Change Deakin eSolutions
PMO capability, connection & excellence
The brief to Escient was to uplift the capability and maturity of the PMO and embed connection, excellence and fun. Escient Director, Manuela Andrysik, was engaged to work on-site at Deakin eSolutions to lead the Programs, Projects and Change team of 15-20 employees, responsible for managing over $20million worth of projects.
As an experienced consultant with good humour and a can-do attitude, Manuela provided support, guidance and coaching to the in-house team, improving capability, communication and productivity.
Manuela identified and addressed ‘watermelon’ projects (projects which appear to be going well but in fact are underperforming) and initiated a number of key initiatives to enable the successful delivery of transformational, operational and technological change across the University.
A pragmatic approach
In addition to leading the team, Manuela introduced more rigorous systems, processes and reporting for the PMO.
- A regular rhythm of team meetings and one on one feedback, development and performance discussions with all team members
- Improved project reporting and quality assurance processes
- More streamlined and robust project financial processes and reporting
- Resource management, incl. capacity planning, forecasting, allocation, etc.
- A project dashboard and visual roadmap to provide visibility of program of work
- A PMO induction pack and reference guide for new staff
- More rigorous management of vendors and 3rd parties
Within six months, Escient helped Deakin achieve significant improvements for the PMO, including:
- A ‘one team’ approach to support and enable successful delivery
of transformational programs and projects, which boosted the reputation of the PMO within the university
- A standard of excellence in terms of project management practice, methodology, capability, reporting and financial management
- A project dashboard and visual roadmap, improving communications and visibility of projects, progress and milestones
At the conclusion of the project, two senior managers were appointed to take over the role.